Chief Operating Officer
Company is seeking a Chief Operating Officer to provide leadership, management, and vision to our mid-size accounting firm based in Chicago, IL. The COO will report to the Managing Partner and act as a strategic and valuable member of our executive team. As the COO, you will ensure that appropriate operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people and systems are in place for our firm's effective performance. You will be responsible for managing, supervising, and coordinating the administrative, human resources, marketing, IT, and internal accounting teams. The COO will also oversee our firm's internal compliance and operational best practices.
- Works closely with Managing Partner to run day-to-day operations of the firm.
- Supervises the IT group to ensure that firm technology is properly managed and proper policies are in place and being adhered to by employees - including computer systems, internet, email, telephones, cybersecurity
- Oversees the time and billing, accounts receivable and collections processes. Reviews and monitors productivity of firm personnel and realization reports
- Oversees and maintains firm contracts and professional licenses, and registrations (profit-sharing plan, insurance needs, banking relationships, facilities management, etc.).
- Manages the firm’s banking relationships and ensures that compliance requirements are met for all loan covenants
- Responsible for reporting key financial metrics to the Executive Committee.
- Oversees the HR department in relation to internal HR compliance and help manage HR issues, including benefits and performance management, recruiting of full-time staff and interns, staff training, and employee orientations
- Oversees the Administrative group and helps manage the department from an efficiency standpoint, including improving processes and policies within the department as well as assisting in efficiently scheduling staff.
- Works with Marketing Manager and the Marketing Committee to create and implement marketing initiatives.
- 10+ years of Firm Management experience in a professional services firm, Accounting or Law Firm
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance and Accounting or related field
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical operations initiatives
- Entrepreneurial and innovative approach including use of technology and automation to improve Firm processes
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Exceptional written, verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interact as a member of executive management and all levels of staff
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Superior management and influencing skills; ability to engage with direct and indirect reports and peers
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field